Associació d'Usuaris de Java de Catalunya > Dissolution
According to the agreements reached at the last General Assembly of Members, on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 8:00 p.m., the dissolution of the association was approved by more than two-thirds of the attending members.
The reasons that led to the dissolution were mainly two, as expressed in the meeting:
- The lack of support from the companies involved, and especially from the parent company, Sun MicroSystems, which ultimately cut the entity's funding.
- On the other hand, the problem of technological voluntarism, at least in Catalonia, a concept that is not yet understood by society.
- People associate technology with materialistic affairs where they can always make a profit and this means that there are very few people willing to collaborate if there is no financial incentive.
- And by "collaborate", we mean an active and constant contribution.
- Technological volunteerism can also mature and be something more than participating in the development of a software or participating in the network without leaving home.
This closes a cycle in which the AUJAC was the most important non-business entity dedicated to the dissemination of Java.